Snow falling over the Blue Ridge Mountains, the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin in the air, classic Christmas songs playing in stores decked in holiday cheer, gifts by the fireplace, Christmas carols, a Bavarian sleigh, glittering Christmas lights, cookies and eggnog…it’s Christmas in the North Georgia mountains! If you’re looking for a way to have the best Christmas yet, what better way to celebrate the holiday season than with a stay in a beautiful North Georgia cabin?! It will be a Georgia Christmas to remember.
Along with cozy spaces, crackling fireplaces, and fully equipped kitchens perfect for holiday feasts, our cabins offer one important thing for the holidays: comfortable, warm spaces to enjoy quality time with the ones you love. You’ll feel right at home in these gorgeous cabins, so all you need to bring is your family recipes, holiday gifts, and your closest family and friends.
Beyond the cabin, North Georgia boasts fun annual holiday events in charming small towns, whimsical local shops where you can find unique holiday gifts, great local restaurants offering delicious seasonal dishes, and plenty of ways to play and celebrate the holidays among the twinkling lights! Ready to head to the mountains of North Georgia? Read on for our 25 ways to celebrate Christmas on a North Georgia getaway!
25 Ways to Celebrate Christmas in North Georgia
- Go snow tubing at Blizzard Mountain (in Buford) or Snow Mountain (Stone Mountain) for a day of icy fun!
- Bring your favorite holiday movies, pop some popcorn, and cozy up together in the cabin on Christmas Eve!
- Use your cabin’s fully equipped kitchen to whip up a delicious holiday spread! With a great dining table and all the tools you’ll need, you can enjoy your classic holiday celebration together in the cabin!
- Browse the Holiday Show & Sale, hosted by the Blue Ridge Mountains Arts Association, for the perfect (locally made) gift for someone!
- Make a hot cocoa bar at the cabin, complete with mini marshmallows, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, whipped cream, peppermint sticks, and festive mugs on Christmas Day!
- Get dressed up and take family holiday photos in front of your cabin’s Christmas tree, with mountain views in the background, or after a carriage ride in downtown Dahlonega or historic Helen.
- Stroll around the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds to enjoy the light show of the Mountain Country Christmas in Lights. Sip cocoa, take photos with Santa Claus, and browse the local crafts booths!
- Bake Christmas cookies and decorate them together around the dining table in your Blue Ridge cabin.
- Take a day trip to the historic Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. Decked out in holiday cheer, Christmas at Biltmore is truly a sight to behold!
- Bundle up and take a hike to a local waterfall – which may be frozen into an icy wonder this time of year!
- Celebrate a classic Christmas in the heart of downtown Blue Ridge, Georgia, at Light Up Blue Ridge and Christmas Parade. The celebration features a visit from Santa, light displays, a Gingerbread Village, live music, seasonal foods, hot chocolate, and the feature parade!
- Bake, build, and decorate gingerbread houses while you’re cozied up in your cabin! Make it extra festive with locally made candies, cookies, and treats.
- Take a ride that will put you in the holiday spirit on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway’s Holiday Express! The 1-hour train ride features the best Blue Ridge views, hot cocoa, Christmas activities, Santa and Mrs. Claus, and a reading of The Night Before Christmas.
- Bring a miniature Christmas tree and decorate it as a family. Bring along special ornaments, make your own for an art project with the kids, or forage around the cabin for pinecones and natural additions!
- Drive through the Callaway Gardens Fantasy in Lights in Pine Mountain.
- Watch the Christmas Tree Lighting in Dalton, Georgia.
- Enjoy classic holiday fun at Dahlonega’s Old Fashioned Christmas celebration.
- Join the Christmas Tour of Homes in Blue Ridge, Georgia, to see the most festive houses decked out! Start with refreshments before heading out to enjoy the holiday decor throughout this Christmas town.
- Curl up in front of your cabin’s fireplace and read your favorite holiday story. Some kid favorites include How the Grinch Stole Christmas, How Many Sleeps till Christmas, Gingerbread Mouse, and Pick A Pine Tree.
- Stroll to downtown Blue Ridge and visit some of the best sweet shops around. Try treats while in the store or fill up some bags to take back to the cabin! Local chocolates and decadent desserts are the perfect additions to your holiday meal!
- Spend the day appreciating the local arts scene at the Blue Ridge Mountains Arts Association and local art galleries.
- Take a scenic drive in a winter wonderland on the Blue Ridge Parkway with your favorite holiday tunes in tow! Don’t forget to pack holiday treats for the ride, including kettle corn, Christmas cookies, cocoa, or brittle.
- Make Christmas crafts, like beautiful wreaths, together in the cabin.
- Visit the area’s local wineries and distilleries for some wine, moonshine, and spirits to pair with your holiday appetizers.
- Spend an afternoon shopping downtown for some great holiday gifts. Split up between shops and surprise each other with what you found when you get back to the cabin!